Nafplio is one of the most charming and romantic towns in Greece, with a rich history, stunning architecture, and breathtaking views. Whether you are looking for a day trip from Athens, a weekend getaway, or a longer stay, Nafplio has something for everyone. In this blog post, I will share with you some of the best places to stay and eat in Nafplio, as well as some tips on what to do and see in this beautiful town.
Where to Stay in Nafplio?
Nafplio has a wide range of accommodation options, from budget-friendly hostels and guesthouses to luxury hotels and villas. Depending on your preferences and budget, you can choose to stay in the old town, near the beach, or on the outskirts of the town. Here are some of the best places to stay in Nafplio:
- Amymone and Adiandi Boutique Hotel: This cozy and elegant hotel is located in the heart of the old town, within walking distance from the main attractions, shops, and restaurants. The rooms are decorated with original artworks and antiques, and have balconies overlooking the picturesque streets. The hotel also offers a delicious breakfast with local products, served in a lovely courtyard or in your room.
- Amphitryon Hotel: This luxurious hotel is situated on the waterfront, offering stunning views of the sea and the Bourtzi castle. The rooms are spacious and modern, with marble bathrooms and balconies. The hotel also features a rooftop restaurant and bar, where you can enjoy gourmet dishes and cocktails while watching the sunset.
- 999 Luxury Hotel: This boutique hotel is located at the foot of the Palamidi fortress, offering panoramic views of the town and the sea. The rooms are stylish and comfortable, with wooden floors and colorful accents. The hotel also has a charming garden and terrace, where you can relax and enjoy a drink.
- Klymeni Traditional Homes: This family-run property is located on the outskirts of Nafplio, surrounded by olive groves and orange trees. The rooms are spacious and cozy, with stone walls, fireplaces, and kitchenettes. The property also has a swimming pool, a playground, and a barbecue area.
Where to Eat in Nafplio?
Nafplio is a foodie’s paradise, with a variety of restaurants, cafes, tavernas, and bars to suit every taste and budget. You can find traditional Greek dishes, such as moussaka, souvlaki, and baklava, as well as international cuisine, such as Italian, French, and Asian. Here are some of the best places to eat in Nafplio:
- Aiolos Taverna: This family-owned taverna is located in the old town, near Syntagma Square. It serves authentic Greek food, made with fresh ingredients and local recipes. The portions are generous and the prices are reasonable. Try the lamb kleftiko, the stuffed vine leaves, or the grilled octopus.
- Scuola Pizza-Bar: This trendy pizza place is located on the waterfront, offering amazing views of the Bourtzi castle. It serves thin-crust pizzas with creative toppings, such as smoked salmon, goat cheese, or figs. The pizzas are baked in a wood-fired oven, giving them a crispy texture and a smoky flavor.
- Alaloum: This elegant restaurant is located on the rooftop of Amphitryon Hotel. It offers fine dining with Mediterranean cuisine, using seasonal ingredients and local products. The dishes are beautifully presented and deliciously prepared. Try the sea bass carpaccio, the duck confit, or the chocolate souffle.
- Pidalio Mezedopoleio: This cozy meze place is located in a small alley in the old town. It offers a variety of small plates (meze), such as cheese pies, meatballs, fried calamari, or stuffed peppers. The meze are perfect for sharing with friends or family, accompanied by ouzo or wine.
What to Do and See in Nafplio?
Nafplio is not only a place to relax and enjoy the scenery but also a place to explore and discover its rich history and culture. There are many things to do and see in Nafplio, from visiting the impressive castles and museums to walking along the scenic promenade and beaches. Here are some of the best things to do and see in Nafplio:
- Visit the Palamidi Fortress: This imposing fortress is located on a hill above the town, offering spectacular views of Nafplio and the sea. You can reach the fortress by climbing 999 steps (or 857, depending on who you ask) or by taking a taxi. The fortress was built by the Venetians in the 18th century and later used as a prison by the Ottomans and the Greeks. You can explore the various bastions, courtyards, and chambers of the fortress, as well as the small chapel of Agios Andreas.
- Take a Boat to the Bourtzi Castle: This small castle is located on an islet in the middle of the harbor, creating a picturesque sight. You can take a boat from the port to reach the castle, which was built by the Venetians in the 15th century and later served as a residence, a prison, and a hotel. You can walk around the castle and admire the views of Nafplio and the sea.
- Walk Along the Arvanitia Promenade: This is one of the most romantic walks in Nafplio, along the coast beneath the rock of Akronafplia. The promenade starts from the port and ends at Arvanitia Square, after about 1 km. Along the way, you can enjoy the views of the sea and the Bourtzi castle, as well as visit the small chapel of Panagia tis Spilia (Virgin Mary of the Cave).
- Admire the Architecture of Nafplio’s Neoclassical Buildings: Nafplio has a unique architectural style, influenced by its various rulers over time. You can find Venetian, Ottoman, Byzantine, and neoclassical buildings in Nafplio, creating a harmonious blend of colors and shapes. Some of the most notable buildings are located around Syntagma Square, such as Trianon, the Archaeological Museum, and the National Bank of Greece. You can also visit the Hellenic Parliament (Vouli ton Ellinon), which was the first parliament of Greece after its independence.
Nafplio is a town that will enchant you with its beauty, history, and charm. It is a perfect destination for a relaxing and enjoyable vacation in Greece. Whether you are looking for culture, nature, or gastronomy, Nafplio has it all. I hope this blog post has given you some ideas on where to stay and eat in Nafplio, as well as what to do and see in this wonderful town.