Mount Kissavos, also known as Ossa, is a mountain in the eastern part of Thessaly region in Greece. It rises from the Aegean Sea to its highest peak at 1978 meters and offers stunning views of the Tempi Valley, Mount Olympus and Halkidiki. Mount Kissavos is a paradise for nature lovers and adventure seekers, as it has a rich forest, gorges, waterfalls, springs and thermal baths. It is also the land of the mythical Centaurs, according to Greek mythology.
If you are looking for some exciting activities and sports to do on Mount Kissavos, here are some of the best options:
- Hiking: There are many trails to explore on Mount Kissavos, ranging from easy to challenging. You can hike through the dense forest, along the streams and rivers, or up to the summit for panoramic views. Some of the most popular hiking routes are: Skiti-Melivia-Polydendri-Sotiritsa-Karitsa, which passes through beautiful stone-built villages on the slopes of the mountain; Arioprino-Kalypso Canyon-Kokkino Nero, which combines hiking with canyoning in one of the most impressive gorges of Greece; and Rapsani-Tempi Valley-Lower Olympus, which crosses the historic valley and offers a glimpse of the wine culture of the area.
- Canyoning: Canyoning is an adventurous sport that involves descending into a canyon using ropes, harnesses, helmets and wetsuits. You will encounter waterfalls, pools, slides and jumps along the way, as well as stunning rock formations and scenery. Mount Kissavos has several canyons to choose from, such as Kalypso, Orpheus and Enipeas. Kalypso is one of the most popular and accessible canyons, with two sections: Kalypso I (easy) and Kalypso II (moderate). Orpheus is a more challenging canyon that requires good physical condition and experience. Enipeas is a long and varied canyon that starts from Mount Olympus and ends at the Tempi Valley.
- Mountain biking: Mountain biking is another great way to enjoy the nature and landscape of Mount Kissavos. You can ride on dirt roads, forest paths or single tracks, depending on your level and preference. You will encounter hills, valleys, meadows, rivers and views of the sea along the way. Some of the best mountain biking routes are: Arioprino-Kalypso Canyon-Kokkino Nero (the same as hiking), which can be combined with canyoning for a full day adventure; Agia-Mavrovouni-Agia (circular), which passes through apple orchards and offers views of Mount Pelion; and Agia-Kissavos Summit-Agia (linear), which climbs up to the highest point of the mountain.
- Skiing: Skiing is possible on Mount Kissavos during the winter months, when there is enough snow cover. There is a small ski center at an altitude of 1700 meters, with two ski lifts and four slopes for beginners and intermediate skiers. The ski center also has a chalet, a restaurant and a ski school. The slopes are not very long or steep, but they offer a nice view of the sea and the surrounding mountains.
- Rock climbing: Rock climbing is another sport that you can practice on Mount Kissavos, especially in spring and autumn when the weather is mild. There are several rock faces on the north side of the mountain, with different levels of difficulty and exposure. You can climb on limestone or conglomerate rocks, with bolts or natural protection. Some of the most popular climbing spots are: Kalypso Canyon (easy to moderate), which has routes from 10 to 30 meters long; Kokkino Nero (moderate to hard), which has routes from 15 to 40 meters long; and Tempi Valley (easy to hard), which has routes from 10 to 80 meters long.
As you can see, Mount Kissavos has a lot to offer for anyone who loves outdoor activities and sports. Whether you prefer hiking, canyoning, mountain biking, skiing or rock climbing, you will find something that suits your taste and skill level. You will also have the opportunity to discover the culture, history and gastronomy of this region, which is rich in tradition and diversity.
If you are interested in visiting Mount Kissavos and trying some of these activities and sports, you can contact Olympos Trek, a local company that specializes in organizing outdoor adventures in this area. They have experienced guides, instructors and equipment, and they can tailor the trips according to your needs and preferences. You can also find more information and tips on their website.
So, what are you waiting for? Pack your bags and get ready for an unforgettable experience on Mount Kissavos!