Corfu Town, also known as Kérkira, is the capital and largest city of the Greek island of Corfu. It is a charming and lively destination that offers a rich cultural heritage, beautiful architecture, stunning beaches and a variety of attractions and activities. Whether you are looking for history, nature, nightlife or gastronomy, Corfu Town has something for everyone.
But how can you get to Corfu Town from other parts of Corfu or from other islands? In this blog post, we will explore the different options you have to travel to Corfu Town by bus, ferry or plane.
Getting to Corfu Town by bus
If you are already on the island of Corfu, one of the easiest and cheapest ways to get to Corfu Town is by bus. There are two types of buses that operate on the island: the blue and white city buses and the green intercity buses.
- The city buses run frequent routes from the airport (route No. 15) and the cruise ship terminal to Corfu Town and its surrounding areas. A single ticket costs 1.20 euro (about $1.50) or 1.70 euros (about $2) depending on the distance, and an unlimited day pass costs 5 euros (about $6). You can buy tickets from kiosks, vending machines or on board. You can find more information about the city bus routes and timetables on Corfu City Bus.
- The green buses connect Corfu Town with the main resorts and villages around the island. They are more comfortable and spacious than the city buses, but also more expensive. A single ticket ranges from 2 to 6 euros (about $2.50 to $7.50) depending on the destination. You can buy tickets from the main bus station in Corfu Town or from local agents. You can find more information about the green bus routes and timetables on Green Buses.
Getting to Corfu Town by ferry
If you are coming from another island or from mainland Greece or Italy, you can also get to Corfu Town by ferry. There are several ports that connect with Corfu Town by ferry, such as Igoumenitsa, Patra, Venice, Bari and Ancona.
- Igoumenitsa is the closest port to Corfu on the mainland of Greece. It is about 80 km away from Corfu Town and it takes about 1h30 to cross by ferry. There are daily departures every 1-2 hours from early morning to late evening. The ticket price is around 10 euros (about $12) for passengers and 40 euros (about $48) for cars.
- Patra is another port on the mainland of Greece that connects with Corfu Town by ferry. It is about 350 km away from Corfu Town and it takes about 7 hours to cross by ferry. There are usually one or two departures per day, depending on the season. The ticket price is around 25 euros (about $30) for passengers and 80 euros (about $96) for cars.
- Venice, Bari and Ancona are three ports in Italy that connect with Corfu Town by ferry. They are popular options for travelers who want to bring their own car or enjoy a longer cruise across the Adriatic Sea. The distance and duration vary depending on the port, but they range from 400 to 800 km and from 8 to 24 hours. The ticket price also varies depending on the port, the season and the type of cabin, but they start from around 50 euros (about $60) for passengers and 100 euros (about $120) for cars.
You can book your ferry tickets online in advance or at the port on the day of departure. However, booking online is recommended as it can save you time and money and guarantee your seat. You can compare prices and schedules and book your ferry tickets online on Ferryhopper.
Getting to Corfu Town by plane
If you prefer a faster and more convenient way to get to Corfu Town, you can also fly there by plane. Corfu International Airport “Ioannis Kapodistrias” is located about 3 km away from Corfu Town and it receives flights from Athens, Thessaloniki, Preveza and several European countries.
The flight time from Athens to Corfu is about 1 hour and the ticket price is around 50 euros (about $60) for a one-way flight. The flight time from Thessaloniki to Corfu is about 1h15 and the ticket price is around 40 euros (about $48) for a one-way flight. The flight time from Preveza to Corfu is about 30 minutes and the ticket price is around 30 euros (about $36) for a one-way flight.
The flight time and ticket price from other European countries vary depending on the origin, the season and the airline. Some of the most popular airlines that fly to Corfu are Aegean Airlines, Olympic Air, Ryanair, EasyJet and Wizz Air.
You can book your flight tickets online in advance or at the airport on the day of departure. However, booking online is recommended as it can save you time and money and guarantee your seat. You can compare prices and schedules and book your flight tickets online on Skyscanner.
How to get from Corfu Airport or Port to Corfu Town
Once you arrive at Corfu Airport or Port, you have several options to get to Corfu Town. You can take a bus, a taxi, a car or a transfer service.
|Bus||1.20-1.70 euro (about $1.50-$2)||10-15 minutes||Cheap, frequent, eco-friendly||Crowded, limited luggage space, may not stop near your hotel|
|Taxi||10-15 euro (about $12-$18)||10-15 minutes||Fast, comfortable, door-to-door service||Expensive, may not use meter, may have communication issues|
|Car||Varies depending on rental company and duration||10-15 minutes||Flexible, convenient, independent||Costly, requires driving license and insurance, may have traffic or parking issues|
|Transfer service||Varies depending on provider and number of passengers||10-15 minutes||Reliable, safe, personalized, hassle-free||Pricier than bus or taxi, requires booking in advance|
You can find more information about each option and book your transfer service online on Welcome Pickups.
In conclusion, there are many ways to get to Corfu Town from other parts of Corfu or from other islands by bus, ferry or plane. Each option has its own advantages and disadvantages depending on your budget, time and preferences. You can choose the one that suits you best and enjoy your trip to Corfu Town!
We hope this blog post has been helpful and informative for you. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below. Have a great time in Corfu Town!