Nafplio is a charming seaside town in the Peloponnese region of Greece, known for its rich history, picturesque architecture and stunning views. But Nafplio is not only a cultural destination, it is also a great place to enjoy some of the best beaches and hiking trails in and around the area. Whether you are looking for a relaxing day by the sea, an adventurous hike in nature or a combination of both, Nafplio has something for everyone. Here are some of the best beaches and hiking trails in and around Nafplio that you should not miss.
Best beaches in Nafplio
Nafplio has a variety of beaches to suit every taste and preference. From sandy to pebbled, from organized to secluded, from family-friendly to watersports-oriented, you can find your ideal beach in Nafplio. Here are some of the most popular ones:
- Arvanitia beach: This is a small beach located behind the city center of Nafplio, on the southern part of Akronafplia. It is partly sandy and partly pebbled, with some tourist facilities such as sunbeds, umbrellas, showers and a cafe-bar. It is easily accessible by foot from the town and offers a nice view of the Bourtzi fortress. It is ideal for a quick swim or a relaxing sunbath.
- Tolo Psili Ammos beach: This is the main beach in Tolo, a popular beach resort south of Nafplio. It has soft sand, crystal water and many watersports centers along the coastline. It is well-organized with sunbeds, umbrellas, showers, changing rooms and lifeguards. It is also very family-friendly, as it has shallow water and a playground for children. It is about 10 km from Nafplio and can be reached by car or bus.
- Karathona beach: This is a beautiful beach located 6 km south of Nafplio. It has golden sand, clear water and green surroundings. It is partly-organized with some sunbeds, umbrellas and a beach bar, but it also has plenty of free space for those who prefer more privacy. It is suitable for families, as it has calm water and a sandy seabed. It can be accessed by car or by foot from Arvanitia beach.
- Neraki beach: This is a small pebbled beach located between the end of the beach promenade and Karathona beach. It is secluded and quiet, perfect for those who want to escape from the crowds and enjoy nature. It has no facilities or shade, so make sure to bring your own supplies and protection. It can be reached by foot from Arvanitia beach or by boat from Nafplio port.
For more information about these and other beaches in Nafplio, you can visit this website.
Best hiking trails in Nafplio
Nafplio is also a great destination for hiking lovers, as it has many trails that offer scenic views, historical sites and natural beauty. Here are some of the most recommended ones:
- Nafplio Hiking Trail 1: This is a circular trail that starts and ends at Arvanitia beach. It follows the coastline around Akronafplia, passing by the Bourtzi fortress, the port, the old town and the Palamidi castle. It is an easy trail that takes about 2 hours to complete. It offers spectacular views of the sea and the town, as well as some interesting monuments along the way.
- Palamidi Castle Trail: This is a trail that leads to the Palamidi castle, one of the most impressive landmarks of Nafplio. The castle is situated on top of a hill overlooking the town and the bay. The trail starts from the old town and climbs up 999 steps to reach the castle entrance. It is a moderate trail that takes about 30 minutes to ascend. The reward is a breathtaking view of Nafplio and its surroundings, as well as a visit to the castle itself.
- Karathona Beach Trail: This is a trail that connects Arvanitia beach with Karathona beach. It follows a dirt road along the coast, passing by some small coves and rocky formations. It is an easy trail that takes about 45 minutes to walk. It offers a pleasant stroll by the sea, with some nice spots for swimming and picnicking.
- Prophet Elias Trail: This is a trail that leads to the Prophet Elias chapel, located on a hill above Nafplio. The chapel is a small white building with a blue dome, surrounded by pine trees. The trail starts from the end of Karathona beach and climbs up a steep path to the chapel. It is a difficult trail that takes about 1 hour to ascend. The reward is a panoramic view of Nafplio, Tolo and the Argolic Gulf, as well as a visit to the chapel.
For more information about these and other hiking trails in Nafplio, you can visit this website.
Nafplio is a wonderful destination for both beach and hiking enthusiasts, as it offers a variety of options to enjoy the sun, the sea and the nature. Whether you choose to relax on the sand, swim in the water, explore the town, climb the castle or hike the hills, you will not be disappointed by the beauty and charm of Nafplio. So pack your bags and get ready for an unforgettable experience in one of the most picturesque towns in Greece.