Messenia is a region in the southwestern part of the Peloponnese peninsula in Greece. It is known for its rich history, stunning landscapes, beautiful beaches and delicious cuisine. Whether you are looking for a relaxing getaway, an adventurous holiday or a cultural exploration, Messenia has something to offer for everyone. In this blog post, we will share some of the best places to stay and eat in Messenia, based on our personal experience and online reviews.
Best places to stay in Messenia
Messenia has a variety of accommodation options to suit different tastes and budgets. You can choose from luxury resorts, boutique hotels, cozy guesthouses, traditional villas or even camping sites. Here are some of our recommendations for the best places to stay in Messenia:
- Grand Hotel Kalamata: This 5-star hotel is located in the heart of Kalamata, on the cosmopolitan seaside. It offers sophisticated rooms and suites, a rooftop bar, a café and a restaurant with a Michelin star chef. You can enjoy breathtaking views of the Messenian Gulf and the Taygetos mountain range from your balcony or terrace. The hotel also has a fully equipped spa with a range of treatments to pamper yourself. Visit their website for more information and booking.
- Mantinia Bay Hotel: This 4-star hotel is situated on the beachfront of Mikra Mantinia, a picturesque village near Kalamata. It features spacious and modern rooms and apartments with kitchenettes, balconies and sea views. You can relax by the outdoor pool, enjoy a drink at the pool bar or have a meal at the restaurant overlooking the bay. The hotel also offers free bikes, kayaks and paddle boards for guests who want to explore the area. Visit their website for more information and booking.
- Vardia Hotel: This 3-star hotel is located on a hillside above the scenic town of Foinikounda, offering panoramic views of the Ionian Sea and the islands of Schiza and Sapientza. It has 25 comfortable rooms with balconies or terraces, air conditioning, mini fridges and free Wi-Fi. You can enjoy a buffet breakfast at the terrace, relax at the lounge or have a drink at the bar. The hotel is also close to some of the best beaches in Messenia, such as Foinikounda Beach, Loutsa Beach and Ammoudia Beach. Visit their website for more information and booking.
- Karalis Beach Hotel: This 3-star hotel is situated on the beachfront of Pylos, a charming town with a Venetian castle and a picturesque harbor. It has 14 elegant rooms with balconies or verandas, air conditioning, mini bars and free Wi-Fi. You can enjoy a continental breakfast at the café-bar, have a snack at the beach bar or dine at the restaurant with local specialties. The hotel is also close to some of the main attractions in Pylos, such as Niokastro Castle, Navarino Bay and Voidokilia Beach. Visit their website for more information and booking.
- Anaxo Resort: This 3-star resort is located on a hillside near Stoupa, a popular seaside village in Mani. It has 10 stone-built apartments with balconies or terraces, fireplaces, kitchenettes and free Wi-Fi. You can enjoy a buffet breakfast at the dining area, relax by the outdoor pool or have a barbecue at the garden. The resort also offers free parking, laundry service and car rental. The resort is also close to some of the most beautiful beaches in Mani, such as Kalogria Beach, Delfini Beach and Foneas Beach. Visit their website for more information and booking.
Best places to eat in Messenia
Messenia is famous for its gastronomy, which is based on fresh local products such as olive oil, olives, cheese, honey, wine, fish and meat. You can find many restaurants, taverns, cafés and bars that serve traditional dishes as well as international cuisine. Here are some of our recommendations for the best places to eat in Messenia:
- Sto Kyma: This café-restaurant is located on the beach of Kalamata, offering coffee and food right next to the sea. You can taste local dishes with the help of outstanding virgin olive oil, such as grilled octopus, fried calamari, stuffed tomatoes and peppers, moussaka and pastitsio. You can also enjoy hundreds of books from their library and local press magazines. The café-restaurant also provides free beach equipment and gear for its customers. Visit their website for more information and booking.
- Tikla cuzina & wine bar: This wine bar is located in the historic center of Kalamata, offering a cozy and elegant atmosphere. You can choose from a variety of wines from Greece and abroad, as well as cocktails and spirits. You can also savor Mediterranean and European dishes, such as cheese platters, salads, pasta, risotto, burgers and steaks. The wine bar also hosts live music events and wine tastings. Visit their Facebook page for more information and booking.
- Fish & Pasta Kannas: This restaurant is located on the beach of Pylos, offering Italian and seafood cuisine. You can enjoy fresh fish and seafood, such as lobster, shrimp, mussels, clams and oysters, as well as pasta, pizza, salads and desserts. You can also admire the view of the Navarino Bay and the Niokastro Castle from your table. The restaurant also has a playground for children and a parking lot. Visit their Facebook page for more information and booking.
- To Pareaki Ths Argo: This tavern is located on the beach of Foinikounda, offering seafood and Greek cuisine. You can try local specialties such as grilled sardines, fried anchovies, marinated anchovies, grilled squid, fried cheese balls and stuffed vine leaves. You can also enjoy a glass of ouzo or wine with your meal. The tavern also has a friendly service and a relaxing atmosphere. Visit their Facebook page for more information and booking.
- Ammos: This bar is located on the beach of Stoupa, offering fast food and drinks. You can have a snack such as a sandwich, a burger, a hot dog or a crepe, or a drink such as a coffee, a juice, a beer or a cocktail. You can also listen to music, watch sports on TV or play board games. The bar also has sunbeds and umbrellas for its customers. Visit their Facebook page for more information and booking.
Messenia is a wonderful destination for anyone who loves nature, culture and gastronomy. It has many places to stay and eat that cater to different needs and preferences. We hope that this blog post has given you some ideas for your next trip to Messenia. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to leave them below. We would love to hear from you!